Saturday, January 28, 2012

Week 3: The Help


Service.


It was important to Ignatius and, therefore, continues to be important within the Jesuit tradition. Some of Ignatius’s deepest spiritual visions occurred while he was volunteering at a local hospital in Manresa, and more than just that, he believed it was an integral part of helping others to become brothers and sisters of the world.

I truly do believe that good deeds and happy feelings are infectious. Just yesterday, I bumped into a buddy of mine who had his roommate’s puppy with him. Maybe I just miss my own, but for hours afterwards I had an inexplicable high that made class almost enjoyable.


Not that Mr. Tan’s presentation needed any mind-altering canines to make it enjoyable, of course. I was talking about all my other classes.

In the same way, I like to think that even a single act of kindness permeates society in innumerable ways. You know, like those heartfelt and kind of cheesy Liberty Mutual ads.


Of course, here we get into the semantics of what constitutes service. My usual go-to for such dilemmas – the dictionary – doesn’t offer much help. Here’s a sample of Merriam Webster’s definitions:

1a: the occupation or function of serving
2a: the work performed by one that serves
4: the act of serving; as:
            a: a helpful act
            b: useful labor that does not produce a tangible commodity

Like I said, not very enlightening. But maybe that’s the point. The first thought that comes to mind when the word “service” is thrown around is the community service requirement of high school (thanks, Mr. Mattern, for signing off that I had spent 101 hours in pep band). Upon further reflection, I might come up with my summers volunteering as a camp counselor.

But as I look deeper and deeper within myself, I keep coming back to that commercial. That’s my greatest service to the world, to my community, to my family: the little things I do every day, which culminate into the way I live my life.

These first few weeks of the semester have made that abundantly clear. I did the math (something I’m particularly good at) and, not counting the time I’m asleep or eating, I have an average of 4.36 hours each day completely for myself (3.42 if we take Sunday out of the equation). However, more often than not, half this time is spent studying or preparing for the next stage in my academic life.


I’m not complaining, though (well…maybe a little bit). Since the end of high school, this is the life I’ve chosen to lead. I do well in school so that my family is proud of me and I can create a better life for them and future generations; I work hard to help pay for my education and other needs; I'm always there for any person who comes to me in a time of need, even if it means other priorities have to be put on hold momentarily.

When I think long and hard about it, this is how I serve the greater good. No, I don’t go to Africa and chew food for toothless orphans. I just try my best to be a kind, helpful member of society, and hope that the love will spread from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment