Saturday, January 14, 2012

Week 1: A Man, A Class, A Blog, Golbassalcanama


Greetings Everyone!!!

And by “everyone” I of course mean Fr. Dziak, any of my family members who have nothing better to do, and the occasional stalker.

But mostly the first two.

For those of you still uninitiated, “For the Greater Glory” is a blog for my Ignatius Loyola class this semester, in lieu of a final paper. Then again, I may post other thoughts, musings, worries, etc. from time to time. This semester is guaranteed to be an interesting one, so who knows?

The main reason I chose a weekly blog (besides the obvious elimination of another paper looming over me at the end of the year) is because… well, I’ve never had a blog before. That being the case, y’all will have to pardon the lack of inspiration in the décor. As I get more familiar with this whole interweb, MyFace-ish contraption called Blogger, I hope to hang a couple pictures on the wall. Maybe bring in a nice area rug or some accent lighting.

Not that any of this accounts for why I’m taking the class in the first place. I mean, what does an engineer need to know about the Jesuits? Probably nothing. I guess it might help if I ever build a church or something. Or if I decide building stuff and/or blowing it up isn’t right for me, then I could always become a priest.

My reasoning was that I’d probably do better in a course that was less dogmatic, and which I would therefore find more interesting. Then again, looking at all the readings, quizzes, and exams, interest alone may not be enough. I guess we’ll all just have to see where I go from here.

In all honesty, though, I’m glad to be in this class, and to be attending a Jesuit institution. Every semester, I’ve taken a Philosophy or Religious Studies course, and they never fail to build upon my worldview.

In my freshman seminar I was introduced to Pluralism, in “Freedom and the Self” I discovered phenomenology (and even learned how to pronounce it), and in “Making Religion Into Art” I got the crazy idea after college to go on a journey by foot, never staying in a city for longer than a day, with nothing but the clothes on my back and a bowl with which to beg for my food.

Uh… Mom and Dad, y’all can just forget that last part.

In any case, I’m excited to see what this semester brings. I figure that if I’m going to be in a school named University of Loyola, I should at least learn a bit about San Ignacio de Loyola.

Plus I heard Father Ted’s a pretty chill guy. And from what I’ve seen so far, I’m inclined to agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment